Pre-research continued, 2

2.22.2013

Day 17

Quick Announcements: IRP vs. GRP: These are two separate assignments! What do they stand for?

GRP Pre-research portfolio- This is a sample you can use as the basis for your IRP pre-research portfolio. I will continue filling it in as our class makes decisions about our GRP.

1) Pre-research synthesis (20 minutes)
Continue working with the same groups as last class to prepare a mini group presentation pulling out what your group feels are some of the most interesting or important facts from the pre-research chart. Group members should divide up the following components when speaking:

  • Describe the problem as if the audience knows nothing about the topic
  • Identify 1-2 interesting facts related to the topic (this can come from any of the categories of the pre-research chart)
  • Describe generally the kinds of organizations related to this topic (government, private, corporate, non-profit, etc.)
  • Predict 1-2 difficulties that we may encounter related to researching this topic. Explain why they could be problems and how we could avoid it or address it.
2) Mini presentations (approx. 15-20 minutes)
Groups present for 3-5 minutes each. Each group member should contribute equally. I will grade on clarity, professionalism, and content.

3) Wrap-up
I will take notes on what each group presents in a google doc that I will share with the class (link). Next time, as a group we will try to answer these questions based on the information I have synthesized:

Were there any common themes that came out from all the groups? Will this help us narrow our search or focus on a certain kind of organization?

Homework
Once I have approved your topic, start filling in the IRP Pre-research Chart for your IRP topic. Keep in mind that you are only doing pre-research at this point, but be sure you can fill in the information the chart asks for; this way you know you have a promising topic. Due Monday, February 25 before class.

No comments:

Post a Comment